2022 MLK Day of Service
In honor of the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK), we encourage all members of the CUIMC community to use this day and give back. Please join us and others across our city and nation as we take time to invest where it matters the most. Learn more about the MLK Day of Service and how you may participate where you are.
The Holyrood Church Food Fest Ministry will be hosting volunteers on MLK Day to support their pantry. The pantry provides free prepared meals for our neighbors in need. It is required that all interested volunteers RSVP as space is limited. Please contact us for further details at email@example.com.
Alianza Dominicana, Inc. is a non-profit community development organization that partners with youth, families and public and private institutions to revitalize economically distressed neighborhoods.
ACDP works to promote and develop the physical, emotional, social and economic well-being of the residents of Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, and New York City.
Fundraising Efforts: Donation - General.
Catholic Charities works to provide service to people in need, to advocate for justice in social structures, and to call the entire church and other people of goodwill to do the same.
Services Amid Covid-19: Providing access to food and virtual support.
Parishioners of Church of the Good Shepherd have a strong tradition of reaching out to others in the community, especially those in need. The Parish Food Pantry serves approximately 3500 people each month.
The Community League of the Heights (CLOTH) is a multi-service, community development organization dedicated to supporting and empowering the economically disadvantaged residents of Washington Heights.
- Services Amid Covid-19: CLOTH's food pantry has doubled its efforts and days of operation to meet the increasing demand.
- Fundraising Efforts: Food pantry support due to COVID-19.
DWDC works to empower all women and communities to advance gender equality and social justice. DWDC's programs include Health Promotions, Healthy Families, La Sala Drop-In Program, and Mama Tingo Childcare & Learning Center.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Supporting families with weekly “COVID-19 Care Packages” which include items depending on each family's needs.
- Fundraising Efforts: Fund COVID-19 Care Packages.
El Nido de Esperanza is a faith-based program of Christ Church designed to support parents with 0-3-year-old children in the Washington Heights/Inwood area of Manhattan.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Providing critical support to families as 90%+ of El Nido's parents have lost their jobs. Offering one-on-one virtual support. Distributing food, baby food, formula, and diapers to neighbors in need.
- Fundraising Efforts: Financial support due to COVID-19 to buy essential items for distribution.
Holyrood Church is a Protestant Episcopal church that serves a multicultural, multiracial, multiethnic, and multigenerational community of people who congregate to worship in three languages; English, Spanish, and Sign Language (ASL). Holyrood Church is part of the New Sanctuary Coalition of New York City and serves as a safe refuge for immigrant families facing deportation.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Operating the Community Food Ministry to provide free prepared meals to people in need.
- Fundraising Efforts: Support for services.
Please contact us at gca.cumc.columbia.edu if you are interested in volunteering at their Food Fest Ministry as part of the MLK National Day of Serivce.
ICS works to improve the quality of life of our neighborhood’s residents. ICS' family support programs serve over 4,000 individuals annually.
Fundraising Efforts: Donation - General.
La Puerta Estrecha Food Pantry operates at La Puerta Estrecha Church and works to supply food to neighbors in need.
The Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights (NMCIR), is a non-profit organization, founded in 1982 to educate, defend and protect the rights of immigrants. Recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals, NMCIR is committed to expanding access to legal immigration services, participating in policy making and community organizing.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Providing remote legal immigration consultations and assistance. Collecting donations for the "Emergency Relief Fund" to support immigrant families who cannot benefit from federal relief programs.
- Fundraising Efforts: Emergency Relief Fund
NMIC's mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. NMIC addresses a broad array of immediate needs, integrating numerous crisis intervention services under one roof.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Providing remote services around critical issues including: eviction moratorium, unemployment insurance, created a hotline to provide support for emergency financial assistance.
- Fundraising Efforts: COVID-19 Emergency Response Fund.
The Fort Washington Men’s Shelter provides shelter to 200 men. An on-site licensed medical clinic also connects residents to primary health care, as well as dental and optometry services.
- Services Amid Covid-19: Continues to deliver medical and psychiatric care, serve daily meals, and connect residents to resources.
- Fundraising Efforts: Support COVID-19 efforts.